Essential oils have been used around the world for centuries. Their use varies from culture to culture and have been used for everything from food preparation and preservation to religious practices, beauty care, and healing the sick and wounded. Wow, what power they have!!!
The earliest use of essential oils occurred between 3000-2500 B.C. Pictures on the wall of Egyptian caves of the Dordogne region of France illustrated the use of the plants to heal their people. Aside from the Egyptians essential oil use was seen among ancient Rome, Greece, and India. Hippocrates, the famous Greek physician relied heavily on plants and aromatic scents like for medicine. Essential oils also have been seen used in the traditions of Indian Ayurvedic medicine. Romans took a cue from the Greeks and also practiced aromatic medicine using a myriad of essential oils to heal ailments like gum infections, diarrhea, and constipation. It is fascinating, isn’t it??
Today in the United States, the tradition still lives on. Many have turned to essential oils in and use them in their everyday life. If you haven’t incorporated this practice there is no time like the present to begin using oils. The holidays are great time to start benefiting from the myriad of great health benefits. They will help de-stress you from your holiday hang ups and put you in the spirit to enjoy your holiday without feeling overwhelmed!!
Here are 5 ways to use essential oils to make your holiday bright!
1. Use them to keep your house clean: Have a holiday party and you house is a wreck? Instead of using harsh toxic chemical cleaners that can be really expensive opt for natural remedies incorporating essential oils. A drop or two of these in a bucket of warm water will disinfect and clean your home without compromising your health. You can make a cleaner with even just as little as 2 oils.
- Lemon and melaleuca are two popular ones to use and will work just as good as your other all-purpose household cleaners.
- Use orange and lime to scrub your tub without the toxic powders. Mix these oils with some baking soda and castile soap and you are good to go.
- Eucalyptus will make your toilet to shine without using bleach. Pop a few drops of eucalyptus oil with baking soda, and some dishwashing soap.
- Lavender and lemongrass will make your laundry smell great. Add these oils to your homemade detergent for that fresh scent without all the hard dyes and additives found in regular laundry cleaner. Your house will be clean and ready for those guests in no time.
2. Use them as an air purifier: A 2009 study by South Carolina State university showed that candles with paraffins emits alkans, alkenes, and toluene-like chemicals into the air when burned. These compounds can be harmful for humans. Instead of taking a risk on what you may be burning in your home, use essential oils to spice up the air. Simply by adding a few drops of scents like nutmeg, clove, rosemary, fir, and orange to a diffuser you will soon have a sweet smelling air that is comes without the consequences of putting your health at risk this holiday.
3. Essential Oils Will Improve Your Immunity: The constant go, go, go this holiday season will put our bodies in a state of stress. Too much stress can lead to poor immunity and increase your risk of getting sick. One way to fight back is to use essential oils. Clove, oregano oil, grapefruit, eucalyptus, lemon, and cinnamon are six essential oils that will keep the colds at bay this season. So stock upon these oils and and them to your medicine cabinet this winter for the best health possible.
- Cinnamon and clove are known for being anti-inflammatory and it is no wonder the oil would do the same. They can protect against bacteria and viruses so add them to your morning beverage or oatmeal.
- Lemon has the powerful vitamin C and works to knock out bacteria and fungus. You can add it to water to clean your house or freshen the air.
- Eucalyptus boosts immunity and makes you feel good.
- Grapefruit and oregano are another immune booster that helps fight disease.
4. Keep Your Skin Soft This Winter: The winter weather puts a damper on your skin leaving you dried out. Use essential oils as a way to moisture keeping your skin supple and smooth. Not only are these good for your skin but they have also have health benefits of promoting weight loss, reducing anxiety, and making you feel better about your outward appearance which will give you confidence and happiness. The best oils for great looking skin are lavender, tea tree oil, geranium, ylang ylang, chamomile, clary sage, cypress, and neroli.
- Lavender will heal any cuts or scrapes you have on your skin.
- Tea Tree Oil helps to manage oily or acne ridden skin. Use tea tree oil as a makeup remover to help balance your complexion.
- Ylang ylang is an essential oil used to treat acne while improving improve cell growth to prevent the looks of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Geranium has been shown to balance oil production so it is good for those who are stuck with acne.
- Lemongrass can be used to improve your skin by minimizing pores and drying up oil skin. So use it as an astringent and makeup remover after you wash your face.
- Frankincense is great for your skin. It has been known to reduce the appearance of stretch marks, reverse signs of aging and treat dry skin
- Chamomile will soothe eczema, inflammation, rosacea or sensitive skin.
- Clary Sage will combat inflammation as well as reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
- Neroli is good to put on sensitive skin that is aging. Look younger with this essential oil by reducing puffiness.
- Cypress soothes red blotchy skin with cypress to shrink swollen blood vessels around your nose and cheeks.
. They Make a Great Gift! Not sure what to get that person on your list? Give them the gift of essential oils. These products are sure to help them live a healthier life. For someone just starting out with oils the best five to get are frankincense, lemon, eucalyptus, tea tree, and peppermint. Have an essential connoisseur on your gift list? My very favorite brand is Young Living Oils.
The nice thing about essential oils is you do not need to use a lot. A few drops go a long way. So how do you pick an essential oil? Be sure that it is of a good quality. All oils are not created equal. It should be 100% pure oil. If you are putting it on your skin be sure to add a carrier oil that will cut down the strength of the oil. This will prevent your skin from burning. Take these tips and create your own holiday bliss!